Satcoms Training Course
Interactive online course with guidance throughout sessions and projects
20 – 22 and 25 – 26 September2023 | online
28 September 2023 |Stevenage, UK or online
The IET’s Satcoms training course will give you a comprehensive understanding of satellite communication technology and applications.
Ideal for early-careerprofessionals, graduate students and anyone wanting a refresher course in keyconcepts, the course provides a grounding in essential tools and skills to enable you to work across a wide spectrum of terminal manufacturers, platform vendors, satellite providers and network operators.About the course
Benefits of attending the course include:
- Gain a thorough understanding of link budgets and QoS design
- Better position yourself to work for satellite manufacturers that design spacecraft and the payload
- Learn to achieve the most optimal throughput of applications including IP over satellite
- Understand the core principles, techniques and knowledge required to design complete end-to-end systems
Six days of intense learning
- Module 1: satcom essentials, ideal for business managers, sales, PR and marketing personnel who require a better understanding of satellite communications technology.
- Module 2: link engineering including link budget primer; modulation and coding; power link budgets and QoS design using link budgets.
- Module 3: Access and Networks including earth station RF engineering; TCP/IP and satellite; propagation and satellite access techniques.
- Module 4: Antennas and space craft engineering including antennas; satcom on the move; spacecraft engineering and operations and payload engineering.
- Module 5: Regulations and spectrum management including a regulatory update. Plus additional sessions on payload engineering and earth station RF engineering.
- Module 6: Workshop exercises and site visit – bring together what you have learned through practical project exercises including earth station design and payload design. Finish the course with an in-person site tour of Airbus’ facilities in Stevenage.
Who should attend?
- Engineers and technicians looking to develop their knowledge and to gain expertise in the modern satellite communications technology
- Government and military technologists requiring a wider overview of the satcom industry
- Students and graduates with engineering and science backgrounds planning their career in satellite communications
- Corporate, PR, marketing and sales staff requiring a better understanding of satellite communications technology
Last year’s attendees said:
“Perfect crash course for how to build and operate a satellite aswell as understanding the industry.”
“The level of the lectures was very high with a lot ofinteresting topics.”
“A good refresher from my masters as I started a new job.”
“The course overall was veryfascinating and well structured!”
Last years trainers included
- David Bookham, Consultant Engineer
- Dave Davis, Technical Director - Global Accounts, ST Engineering iDirect
- Barry Evans, Professor of Communications, University of Surrey
- Gorry Fairhurst, Professor in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Aberdeen
- Paul Febvre, CTO, Satellite Applications Catapult
- David Jowsey, Satellite Products, BT Media & Broadcast
- Max Petrozzi Ilstad, ESA
- Tim Tozer, Professor of Communications, University of York
- Tim Waterfield, Senior Specialist – Antennas, Airbus DS
- Paul Wells, Managing Consultant Space and Satcoms Specialist, PAConsulting
Raise your brand’s profile at Satcoms
Raise your brand’s profile, whether it’s lead generation, brand awareness, thought leadership, a new product launch or geographical expansion you have in mind, our team will work with you to build a bespoke sponsorship and exhibition package that best helps you achieve your aims.